Sunday, July 17, 2011

Baby steps...

About 11 years ago, I went through a major body change.  I started running, was taking that new (at the time) diet drug Xenical, watched what I ate and I lost 90 pounds, from 245 to 155.  At the time, it was like losing the weight of my oldest daughter off my back!  Unfortunately, I broke my shoulder playing softball at that point and ended up sitting on the couch when I wasn't working for the next 6 months because even walking hurt my shoulder.  At this point, I also got a teaching job that required me to work late most nights and made me tired the other nights, so little by little, I gained back weight.  At my peak I was running 5-6 miles a day (from my house around the trails and back again) and felt extremely strong.  Sadly, I never reached my goal of 150 pounds.

Fortunately, after about 5 years of gaining weight back, I was able to run again (a little, but never like before) and with programs like P90X I was able to slow the weight gain and maintain a somewhat OK, though too much for my liking, weight.

Then, throw in another major change in my life a little over two years ago, and it seems the weight has just taken on a mind of it's own.  I have that old familiar back pain, shortness of breath, sweating profusely and all the nasty stuff that comes along with being way overweight.  Yuck. 

Why am I sharing this?

I'm tired of being miserable.  I'm tired of feeling tired and sore.  I'm tired of looking at this unfamiliar figure in the mirror, so I've decided that I'm going to take control of my body again.  Sadly, I'm 11 years older, and time is running out for me to get out there and go again, and it's going to be tough.

So here we go.  My daughters are older now and they're going to help me, and hopefully, with their support, I'm going to begin a major course in weight loss/fitness.  I have a month before school starts, and my first goal is to lose 10 pounds.  I know, much more than is considered really healthy for a month.  But, this is desperation time.  I'm starting two programs back up - the P90X program and the 6 Week Body Makeover plan.  The P90X will reshape my body and help me build that muscle needed, and using the diet/eating plan from the 6 Week Body Makeover should help the calorie intake and get me eating correctly.  I also plan to walk/run when I can as well just for that added body boost.

I've used both programs separately with success before, so if all goes well, this 45-year old man should be in the best shape of his life within a couple of years.  And if not, well, I do know I'll have lost a little bit of weight. 

Anyway, give me some support when you see me and help cheer me along to my previous weight.  A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step, right?

Small steps, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment