Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Are we REALLY the "Friendliest Town in America"?

I don't know. I'm torn...I try to live by the mantra that character is what you show when you think no one is watching, so this question kind of befuddles me. Surely I'm not the only one!

Oh, and sorry for the length - I really need a blog.  And I do promise I'm not being negative, I'm just asking this question to myself and wonder what others think.

Am I the only one that thinks Woodward spent more time trying to impress the Winn family and winning the Friendliest City in America award than it does actually trying to be a friendly city? Lately, I feel we'd be in the running for Fakest City in America for sure.

I look at what "Woodward" is doing currently and has been doing for the past few weeks, and what some people are saying in the news and on Facebook and wonder, "Where the heck is this Woodward you people are talking about? Why can't I see it?"

I mean, don't get me wrong, we definitely aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I can EASILY list off 5 towns in this part of Oklahoma alone that are friendlier than Woodward is on a daily basis. Especially when getting growled at in businesses I frequent - or even worse, no reply to a thank you (a simple you're welcome would be nice), people driving like they don't care who's in front of them or behind them, trash in parking lots (btw, I loved the nasty diaper I slid my foot against accidentally in my flip flops yesterday at Wal-Mart - with a trashcan less than 20 yards away, so for that person who feels it's ok to drop a crappy diaper in a parking space, thank you! [end sarcasm] Yes, I know it might have just fallen out, but it's not uncommon to see a nasty diaper in the Wal-Mart parking lot.), the lack of common courtesy, people who you've known for years as acquaintances who won't even smile when they see you, and various things around town that need to be fixed up, but isn't being done (oh wait, they are NOW, after years of falling apart)... sigh, the list goes on.

Honestly, while I love the things Woodward has done to prepare for this and to celebrate being one of the "friendliest towns in America", I myself, as someone who has lived in Woodward more than half my life, would be MUCH more impressed if all these evening-time sales we've had at businesses that most usually cater to the unemployed (you can only shop there during the day - forget it if it's after 5:00), all these parties/get-togethers we've suddenly decided as a town we can afford and found reasons to have, all these smiling faces, the clean up/beautification, and simple celebrations were being done when there actually isn't a title on the line or something other than simple fellowship to gain.

Yes, it's fun. Yes, people are in a great mood because of it, and even more importantly, it's what's going on NOW in Woodward. BUT, to me it just seems like we're one of those old western town with all it's false faces towards Main Street, all just so we LOOK good to everyone else. What's wrong with carrying this over and being this way ALL the time? How about in September, February, April, or June, instead of just on the 4th of July or December for Chrystal Christmas, or when one of our high school sports teams goes to state (by the way, not taking anything away from our high school athletes at all, but where are the celebrations for our other high school groups that go to state and have actually won? Where is THEIR celebration? Sigh, I guess that's a different rant for a different time.) I guess I'm just asking, why can't we be this way ALL the time?

Or, what if this is a wake up call for Woodward? We need to actually BE friendly on regular days and not only on "special" occasions or holidays and actually earn this title, not just put on a face to win a contest. We have it in us to be that town. I've seen it, you've seen and it feels good. So, will we actually take it and deserve the reward? Or will we just wait to do it all again whenever the next big thing comes along?

2 comments:

  1. I know you've posted what a lot of people are thinking. I have to say that the people, for the most part, are wonderful here-even to a transplant like me. The city management I can't say the same about, but we won't go there. I know the fast food places aren't the best in customer service these days, and I know where you're coming from with this. However, as an optimist, I hope that this is a springboard for us. You know how sometimes recognition pushes people to live up to it? Let's keep the positivity going and say that fake is better than not trying at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Down deep, I'm an optimist, too. I really hope we as a city don't just do this for an "award" but see this as a stepping stone. We're growing so fast these days, and it's going to be too easy to fall into that "ignore your neighbor" philosophy. So, for now, I'll say we'll use this to better ourselves, and keep that positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete